Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Time Management Tips



Hey all!

I have been noticing lately that a lot of people seem to be talking about how they manage their time.So i thought I would give a few of my tips, on how I make sure that I am always On time or a little early. And how I fit all things into my day to day routine.

Appointments or get togethers:

1 - Don't overbook yourself.
If you were invited to 2 parties, at the same time, the best way to time manage it, is to just pick one party and decline the invite for the other.I tend to apply the first come, first serve rule. I am still an advocate for the old time rules of giving your guests plenty of time to plan to make it to your party. I always send invite 2-3 weeks ahead of time. And I apply the same for receiving invites as well.  Now if I have a party at 1pm and another at 5pm, I accept both, but advise the later party I might be a little late, but will be there.

2 - Make a definite accept or decline to the invite.
This is for a few reasons. First off, its just polite. i can't stand when people say they "might", because then I end up sitting around waiting for them and trying to plan my day around whether or not I think they will show up. Secondly, it allows you to plan your day around the get together you have set up. And if you can't commit, well, you must not like that person very much. (sorry but this is how it comes across)

Day to Day routine and life: (these tips are geared more towards the working mom)

1 -  Know the part of your day that MUST be scheduled, and work around that. 
I work from 9-5:30 and pick up the kids from school on my 30 minute lunch break. Anything else AT ALL, must be done after 6pm. No if's and's or but's.

2 - Don't try to "fit in" things, unless absolutely needed. 
By this, I mean, don't try to fit in an hour appointment, while on your hour lunch break. Just schedule it for another day/ time/ or take the day off work and fit it in there.

3 - If you have kids, your house is never going to be perfectly clean - get over it! (unless you can afford a maid)
I have tried many many times to schedule cleaning, but that doesn't always work. Especially if you worked all day and have dance classes to get to, and dinner, and maybe errands. UGH  Just clean when you can..........and if your kids are being lazy, have THEM pick up THEIR mess. Saves you cleaning time. (For real, i analyze the mess int he house and only about 10% of it is mine)


That is as far as I will go, because then we would be leading into cleaning tips, and that's a while nother story. Lets face it, cleaning takes up most of our free time. (again - unless you can afford a maid).
To sum it up, my time management is best when I don't try to overdo things. If I have 10 mins to fit in a trip to a store, before a family gathering, I won't do it. If someone asks me to do something and I don't 100% want to, I will nicely decline - otherwise, I am trying to fit it in and that would just be rude. I personally don't like feeling like someone "fit me in".
I another way, I guess its all about knowing what you are capable of and learning what is more important, and letting some other things go. Figure out what NEEDS to be done now, and what can wait a little bit.  It's all about self control!






No comments:

Post a Comment