Friday, October 17, 2014

Cheese Crisps



Need a fast after-school snack for the kiddies?Mine love these - cheese crisps. 
My mom used to make these when I was a kid, and I just recently remembered the snack and started making it for mine. 
All you need is shredded cheese and tortillas. Those 2 items have become a staple in our house, so we always have them.
Depending on the type of pan you will be using, depends on how you do this. I have 2 pizza pans, one with holes and one without.

Using a cookie sheet or pan with a solid (no holes) bottom:
*Put the tortilla on the tray, in an oven at about 400 degrees, and cook for about 2 minutes.
*Spread cheese all over the tortilla, and place back in to the oven until all cheese is melted.

Using a pizza pan with holes in the bottom:
*Spread cheese on tortilla while oven is preheating to about 40 degrees.
*Cook for about 5 minutes or until all cheese is melted.

If you use a solid bottom pan, and do not pre-cook the tortillas, they will not be horrible. Just not as crispy. They will come out with crunchy edged and a soft/chewy center where the cheese is. I have cooked them like this as well.

To put a little twist on this (and something my 7yr old often makes herself), is the homemade version of cheese rolls. This is the only thing my one daughter will eat from Taco Bell, and I hate paying for it because its sooooo easy.
Place tortilla with cheese on a plate. Microwave for 20-30 seconds, until cheese is all melted.
While still hot, roll the tortilla. This is when my daughter needs my help, and I use a fork and my nails to assist the rolling action, because it is very hot at this point. But if you don't roll it right away, you do not get the same results.

Quick and simple and even a version the kids can do themselves. 







No comments:

Post a Comment