Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Is Thanksgiving lost?





Thanksgiving is tomorrow, and for me, it means the beginning of the Holiday season. I know a lot of people don't want to think about Christmas or anything until Thanksgivings comes and goes, but for me, Thanksgiving is just the start of it all. But its true that, Thankgiving is getting lost.

Don't get me wrong, I still NEED to have a home cooked Thanksgiving meal. But I am not obsessed with making sure its a big deal of a dinner, as I remmeber from when I was a kid.

I think it comes from the fact that over the last 5 yrs or so, its been a struggle to figure out who is having Thanksgiving. Most of my family has apartments that are too small to hold us all. So we got a house finally, but not everyone seems like they want to come here every year. So the last few years, its just been us and my one sister. And although its great that she helps me keep the tradition of a real home cooked meal alive, its lost its flare.

I hope to one day, when my girls get older, re-gain the big family dinner event. but for now, I am OK with it being small. However, because I have grown to be OK with it, I feel as though I am slowly phasing it out. I can't let that happen, but its been hard.

But if you think about it, the way retail works, is not helping with families keeping the traditions of Thanksgiving alive. They push Christmas sooner and sooner. Which I personally find OK, because with limited income, I have to shop for Christmas throughout a couple months. I also love Christmas so much, I like that it lasts a little longer. Which is why I think of Thanksgiving as the kick off to Christmas.

I'm not sure where this rant is going, or even what my thoughts really are. But yes, Thanksgiving seems to be getting lost in the mix of Christmas. Both in the retail world and in the family gathering manner. 

My point I guess, is that we need to stop blaming retail for there not being a Thanksgiving anymore. Its up to us, to keep the family traditions alive and going. If we give up, we are allowing Thanksgiving to disappear.

Vent over.



No comments:

Post a Comment